Sunday, November 16, 2008

South Bronx Potluck!

One of my favorite things about living in the South Bronx is the community that we have established here. Tonight we had a potluck with people in the neighborhood at my friends' apartment around the corner (the building where I originally lived when I moved to this neighborhood). There were about 20 of us (more?) hanging out enjoying good food - my favorite activity. Even though most of us knew each other, we started out by going around and saying who we were, what dish we had brought, and our connection to that building. It was fun to see all the connections, which are so criss-crossed at this point. It's great!

We had a feast, to say the least. Guacamole, vegetable curry, lentils, two kale dishes, mashed potatoes, sausages, macaroni and cheese, roast chicken, squash soup, cornbread - and those aren't even counting the desserts! Our plates were filled like it was Thanksgiving.

There was also a dessert smörgåsbord. There was rugelach, vegan chocolate cupcakes, and chocolate cookies. The vegan lemon cupcakes were a big hit - so moist and delicious! I have requested the recipe for future use.

You think that's a lot? I'm not even done yet! There was also a silky smooth vegan mango ginger "cheesecake" - so good. Julia ambitiously made three pies, all of which were incredible. My favorite was the apple cranberry, but I would say the major hit was the chocolate pecan. It was agreed that it tasted like melted candy bars, and thus had serious mass appeal. The maple pumpkin was awesome too. Maple syrup in pumpkin pie is genius.

Once we were all in a food coma, we sat around and talked, trying to digest. Then we would go back for some more food. More pie, anyone?

Those of you that were there, you should post your recipes from the evening in the comments section! Or you can email them to me so I can post them. There was too much good food tonight for it to go unblogged.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

For Julia's Pies:
Basically, as a new/nervous cook, I like to experiment by adding new ingredients to dishes I know are already good. So you can report that I added 1/2 a bag of semisweet chocolate chips to a traditional pecan pie (you can also melt the chocolate ahead of time to add it to the basic corn syrup mixture, but then it will be less like a melted candy bar). I also added 1/4 cup 100 percent pure maple syrup to a traditional pumpkin pie, and 2 cups of fresh cranberries to a traditional apple pie (and poured in a little 100 percent cranberry juice-- but it ended up a little soupy in the end so I recommend draining it about halfway through the baking process, after the apples & crust have absorbed that flavor).

That's it! I hope other people send in their stuff because that was a really delicious meal.

m in the bronx said...

I can say that Keegan's mashed potatoes were fairly easy-- the trick is a stick and half of butter!

Katherine said...

as they say, butter makes it better!