Friday, November 14, 2008

Bay Scallops with Pesto Spaghetti (and caprese, and oysters)

Keegan brought us fresh bay scallops from the farmer's market yesterday! Eaten raw (because they are so fresh you can do that) they taste just like summer - saltwater and beach. Interestingly, though, as Keegan told us, summer is the only time when you really can't get bay scallops. The irony. He also brought some oysters to be enjoyed raw. Here is Keegan shucking oysters (I think that is the appropriate term...).


After eating the raw oysters (ok, I only ate one. I'm still new to this seafood thing... But I did enjoy it) we had caprese. Simply slice fresh mozzerella, place a few slices of basil and a slice of tomato on each. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Although this is really a summer appetizer, I always think it is delicious.


We made Pesto to go with the spaghetti. I love making different varieties of pesto. We made a simple basil pesto. In a food processor or blender, combine one bunch of basil, some pine nuts, a few cloves of garlic, parmesan, and olive oil. Mmmm.


We quickly sauteed the scallops with some butter, tossed the spaghetti with pesto, and served!

2 comments:

Steph said...

you really impress me. i wish i lived closer to come over for dinner 2-3 times a week (or 7...)

Katherine said...

This is what I've been telling you for years! Actually this whole blog was a ploy to get you to move to New York. Is it working? Also, see you this afternoon!