Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Oversized Pigs in a Blanket

For those of you that were at our wedding you might recall "pigs in a blanket" (mini hot dogs wrapped in pastry crust) being passed around during the cocktail hour. While we also had beef satay, chevre crostini, and the like, pigs in a blanket were a necessary addition, we felt. Everyone loves pigs in a blanket! (Ok, except maybe vegetarians). Does anyone remember that time Julia and I got that huge box of frozen Nathan's pig-in-a-blankets? Ah, memories...

Anyway, such was the inspiration for our makeshift dinner last night. When my original cooking plans fell through because we were lacking some major ingredients, I had to think fast. We had some disparate ingredients, but nothing that might make a meal. Cannelloni beans and barbeque sauce? No thanks. Parsnips and Ceasar dressing? Maybe next time. We did, however, have a large package of Nathan's hot dogs in our freezer. But no bread! We were going to eat them with our frozen garlic naan, but I knew there had to be something better.

That's when I reached my moment of genious (madness, some might say): oversized pigs in a blanket. We had frozen pie crust, we had hot dogs, ta-da! We thought about all the different ingredients we might be able to wrap with the hot dogs and so we sauteed onions in preparation. We also thought about including cheese, sauerkraut, and mustard.


We found that stuffing the pigs in a blanket was a little more challenging then we anticipated since some fell apart. Onions seemed to work well, and we successfully wrapped brie with a few. Here is a how-to: Cut a triangular shape out of the pie dough. Place a thin layer of "filling" if you want any. Then place the hot dog flushed right and role on a diagonal, like so:



We baked them in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, until the pastry crust started to become slightly browned and flaky.

We served them with ketchup, spicy mustard, and thousand island dressing, along with the remaining sauteed onions. I was pleased to find that this dinner, cobbled together from our freezer, turned out to be pretty darn good! The ones stuffed with sauteed onions were the real winners, and the ones with brie were a close second. For parties, I have to say I would continue to recommend the mini versions of this. Oversized pigs in a blanket aren't exactly what I would call 'company food...'


A side-note: vegetarians could easily make this with vegetarian hot dogs. It would probably make the veggie dogs taste better!

9 comments:

Julia said...

Just so you know, with me, that would definitely be "company food." This blog remains awesome :)

Unknown said...

I have been following your blog faithfully every day and finding that after each entry I am left with a watering mouth and hunger pangs. You are an inspiration!!!
Love you, D.

Katherine said...

Thanks guys! Your support means a lot. It's good to know people read this thing... :-)

Julia said...

Are you kidding? Why do you think I agreed to live with you for so many years? I will always, always be your number one fan. And I will read every post as long as you're putting them up there. Can't wait for the Martinelli Thanksgiving post.

Steph said...

i'm a little worried that you haven't eaten in a few days. or else you've just been eating peanut butter and crackers and you're too embarrassed to do a post on it. i promise, i'll read it all and still be envious...

Unknown said...

If you ask me you have set the bar way too high.
P.S. Don't knock peanut butter and crackers; it's protein, it's dinner!

m in the bronx said...

I, like Steph, am worried that you haven't eaten in a few days...

Unknown said...

O.K., I am also worried but don't want to seem like a "Meddling Mother In Law".

Katherine said...

I appreciate the concern, but really, you all have met me. Me not eat? Not in my repertoire. My stress from work got in the way of my posting - I promise, I won't let it happen again. :-)