Sunday, November 16, 2008

Out on the Town (Boston): Sound Bites

I went for a quick 24 hour trip to Boston yesterday. It had been months since my last visit, and it was time. I stayed with my friend Steph and after a few hours of lounging inside avoiding the rain we finally ventured out for dinner. We opted for the Pour House, a bar on Boylston. The main draw was the Saturday night special - half-priced burgers, not to mention inexpensive large beers. My burger with cheddar and sauteed onions and a mountain of fries came to a whopping $2.85. I could not complain about a night out for way under $20, including transportation.

For breakfast this morning we met our friends Sarah and Adam at Sound Bites in Somerville. There was a line, but it was worth the wait.

Breakfast often presents the perennial dilemma - pancakes or eggs? This is especially problematic if the menu looks good. The more interesting the menu the more decisions one must make. I thus always appreciate a pancake/eggs combo on a menu. It saves me a lot of distress in breakfast ordering. Sound bites had exactly the combo for me - two eggs, two pancakes, choice of meat, and toast or a bagel! What?! For the pancakes you could choose from many enticing options - I went for mixed berry. Honestly, the pancakes won in the end, but I was happy with my wealth of food. I saved the bagel for the bus ride home. Did I mention this cost $7.99? Yeah, that's right. Take that, New York.


Sarah went for the same combo, but with banana-berry pancakes. Mmmm. Steph had the Tunisian omelet, with olives and feta. Not up my alley, but sounds incredible for the olive lover (another hurdle I have yet to cross). Adam had an amazing looking take on Eggs Benedict - instead of Canadian bacon it had tomatoes and avocado. Brilliant.


In the end, Sounds Bites was a great breakfast spot. The pancakes reminded me of our favorite college breakfast place, the Country Corner Cafe in Saratoga Springs. It is surprisingly difficult to find reasonably priced delicious breakfast, and this definitely hit the mark. Thanks Steph for recommending it!

1 comment:

Steph said...

yay! i miss you already.