Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rigatoni Pomodoro with Chicken and Salad

I know! It's been (gasp) two days since my last post. Don't worry, we've been eating, and not just peanut butter and crackers either :-)

Tuesday evening Evan and I had Thai food at our favorite place, Eat, on 3rd Ave and 81st. St. I was going to do an "Out on the Town" posting on it, but I was so hungry I forgot to take pictures of my food. 86th St. is just a few stops on the subway for us, and also where I can go to Staples, the gym, and my bank so it is convenient. Eat has delicious curry puffs, salads, curries, and noodle dishes. One time I had the avocado curry and was not crazy about it. Every other time I have not been disappointed.

As for last night, we ate rigatoni pomodoro with grilled chicken and salad. Another easy weeknight meal that can be easily altered according to what ingredients you have on hand.


I chopped 3 large shallots, 3 cloves of garlic, and 1 carrot and sauteed them in oil. Add a can of whole plum Italian tomatoes, crushing with your hands. Add some chopped basil and grated Parmesan cheese. Let the sauce simmer while you bring a pot of water to boil.

If you are including chicken, rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Add salt and pepper and place them in an oiled skillet. Cook on each side for 5-7 minutes. When the pasta is very al dente, drain it in a colander, reserving a cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the sauce to finish cooking it. This allows the pasta to absorb the flavor of the sauce. Add pasta water as needed.

Slice chicken breast. Combine chicken and rigatoni in a bowl. Add additional fresh basil, grated Parmesan, and fresh-ground pepper.


To round out the meal, serve it with a salad.

No comments: