Monday, November 24, 2008

Bronx Thanksgiving Recipes - Pumpkin Pie

Let me begin by saying that I love pumpkin Pie. It is a strange thing that despite this affinity, I only crave it this time of year. I have made pumpkin pie many times, often from scratch. This year, short on time, I used canned pumpkin puree as my base and a frozen pie crust. I even used the recipe on the pumpkin can. And you know what? It turned out to be one of the best pumpkin pies I've made. Go figure.

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 9 inch deep dish pie shell


Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a small bowl.


Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. I got non-fat evaporated milk. I only used about 1/2 of the can (any more and it would have been too watery and too much).


Pour the mixture into a pie crust. As recommended to my by my mother-in-law, I always use Oronoque Orchards pie crusts. You can find them in the frozen section for about $2.50 for two.


Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

No comments: