Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pure genious: Truffle Ravioli

I have already professed my love for Rafetto's Italian Market on Houston Street (see my November 12 posting). I had heard tell of their truffle ravioli, but had yet to experience them. Wow, is all I have to say. Truffle has been one of my favorite flavors as of late, but it can often be overpowering. There was the time, for example, that I carried home a piece of cheese with black truffles on the subway and people actually moved away from me. It was quite pungent.

The truffle raviolis, however, are subtle, luxurious, and unbelievably delicious. The ingredients are simple: mushrooms, black truffles, white truffles, ricotta, truffle oil, garlic, breadcrumbs, eggs, and salt. At $11.95 a one pound box, they are the most expensive item in the store. Oh, but so worth it! We made half a box of truffle raviolis and half a box of the arugula and ricotta raviolis, another favorite. On the advice of the people at Rafetto's we simply tossed them with butter and parmesan. I also sauteed some mushrooms in butter and threw them in. Served with an arugula salad, this dinner was divine. We enjoyed it with a Chilean Merlot.


When we went outside to go out for the night, we found ourselves enjoying the first snow of the winter! Although it is long melted and gone now, there is something magical about that first snow...

2 comments:

m in the bronx said...

hey south bronx foodie-- what are some simple and quick holiday party suggestions? it is that time of year and i need help! i want to bake something easy but also have some sort of "real food" but need to feed a lot of people both ways! any help is appreciated!
(your snow picture is how i thought of this)

Katherine said...

Awesome idea! A holiday party posting is so in order. Let me gather my favorites... For a quick fix, every food magazine on newsstands right now has their holiday issue out, many of them focusing on holiday cookies. I will try to gather a good mix. Quick, easy, and delicious is definitely key for the holidays.