Sunday, December 7, 2008

Out on the Town: Live Bait

Well, I am officially back in the U.S. and back to my hectic schedule. How is it that even without a job I feel so busy? Friday I saw my former students and then met up for drinks with coworkers. Of the six of us there, only three remain at the school - what does that tell you? We went for happy hour (half price drinks!) at the Bruckner Bar and Grill, and we ended up pigging out too. Between the six of us we had two large orders of calamari, three large orders of sweet thai wings, and an order of chili nachos. Yum.

Needless to say when it came time to meet Evan for dinner at 8 I wasn't that hungry. But, not one to say no to food, I rallied. Live Bait is a Louisiana style barbecue restaurant-raw bar-and bar in one. We go there somewhat regularly for their awesome burgers and because it is conveniently located between Evan's jiujitsu school and our subway line. Although the bar can get crowded the table area never seems to be too busy. They give you a basket of scrumptious mini corn muffins while you wait. I usually get the grilled chicken sandwich with caramelized onions, Gouda, and barbecue sauce. Friday I opted for the chili served over brown rice. It wasn't the best chili I ever had, and I felt like there was way more rice than chili, but it was good. Certainly considering I wasn't starving.


Evan had another one of our regular selections - the BBQ Bait Burger, which comes with andouille sausage, onion rings, American Cheese, and bbq sauce. It is massive and delicious. All those flavors really work together. It comes with your choice of salad or fries. While they make excellent fries, the salad is a nice counterpoint to the meal.

1 comment:

Irene Jennings said...

I took my husband to Livebait for his birthday,the meal was superb as was the service. The mussels were plentiful, the waiter and waitresses were very pleasant. I used a Tastecard which meant the meal was well priced.

regards,
jennifer of SabrePC