Friday, December 5, 2008

The Foodie Travels: Quadra Island, Canada

My blog has been on hold for a week due to a week-long trip to Canada (I just added my updates today). I was on an island off of Vancouver Island to attend my Uncle’s memorial service and spend time with my aunt and cousins. Although I was there for a tremendously sad reason, I had a wonderful time with my extended family. I hadn’t seen my Aunt since she and my uncle visited New York in 2003. I hadn’t been to see them on Quadra Island for over ten years. And I had never met my cousins, who are fishermen and always out fishing in the summer. It's incredible to reconnect with family and realize how deep those ties can be, even if you haven't met.

I won't bore you with too many words. I think the pictures will say plenty. We had a long journey to get there - a six hour flight from New York to Vancouver, followed by an hour flight on a tiny plane to Campbell River and a ferry to Quadra Island.


The gourmet food options available at JFK. Even a Todd English Restaurant! Snazzy.

Our tiny plane took off (and, more importantly, landed) despite heavy rain and fog...

The ferry to Quadra IslandAlign Center
My aunt's wood burning stove - and the best seat in the house.
Melanie's delicious pasta, meatballs, and salad. One of many large family meals together.
My uncle's memorial potluck. A beautiful way to be remembered. Over 200 people gathered in the community center to honor his life with a brief service, food, and drink.

My cousin's fishing equipment in his shop (where the rowdy after party was held until the wee hours of the morning).
My cousin's fishing boat.
Unbelievably delicious sushi in Campbell River. A Kisca is pure genius - raw scallop mixed with kiwi. The roll with barbecued salmon skin was also something incredible - and a dish I wouldn't have tried just a few months ago. And the California rolls have real Dungess Crab, not fake crab stick!
The water as we go on the ferry back to Quadra.
A few shots of Rebecca Spit Park on a (rare) sunny day.


Halibut caught by my cousin that day.
A delicious meal of swimming scallops, salad, mashed potatoes, and fresh-caught salmon and halibut. Caught by one cousin and prepared by the other.
A close-up of the seafood - swimming scallops in their shells! There is more to scallops than just that fluffy white part.
On my last night in Quadra my cousin's daughter, Hannah, and I made a chocolate cake for my aunt's birthday next week. It was very, very rich.
And the long journey home. When the steward told us to watch our heads going into the plane, I didn't realize we would have to continue ducking to get to our seats. Even I got a little claustrophobic...


Evan met me at the airport, and now I am home. It feels funny to be back in the city after a week of fresh fish, eggs straight from the chicken, and tons of family time. Now I have to think about reality - I did quit my job last week, after all. What am I supposed to do with myself? Maybe I'll give myself a few more days to get it together...

No comments: