Saturday, January 10, 2009

New Year's Brunch

On New Year's day we had Manissa, Keegan, and Beth over for Brunch. They had done so much cooking the day before that I wanted to do return the favor. I decided on using my Aunt Etta's pancake recipe (see my December 5, 2008 entry for the recipe). I used half vanilla and half plain yogurt, and also split the flour between all-purpose and whole wheat. Just like when my aunt made them, the pancakes were moist and fluffy. To complement the meal we served coffee and mimosas (for those of us not too hungover to enjoy them).

We topped the pancakes with yogurt and strawberry and black cherry compote. A perfect start to the new year!

We hung out for the remainder of the day, loafing, playing Rock Band, watching TV. We ate macaroni and cheese. Julia and Greg joined us from Hartford. For dinner I made a ton of pasta with sauteed spinach, cannellini beans, tomatoes and parmesan - pretty much what I had around. I later learned that eating beans on new years is a tradition meant to bring good luck, so there you go.

And, because I couldn't get enough time in the kitchen, I also made Keegan a birthday cake. I tried to recreate the birthday cake I had made for Evan, since Manissa and Keegan didn't get to sample it. I didn't get the cake part perfectly right, but the icing was still good. Happy New Year! Happy Birthday!

No comments: